Thursday 28 March 2013

Dishwasher Delight!

Bit of a late blog post today but Neils jumped ship for a few days away so my backside definitely has not sat down today. I am currently enjoying my first hot cup of tea of the day!! (its amazing!!)

One of my favourite labour saving device has got to be the dishwasher. With 5 sets of dishes at every meal time and a business which produces large quantities of washing up, there is nothing nicer than loading the dishwasher up and pressing go. The biggest downside has to be the cost of dishwasher tablets, personally I feel they are hugely expensive. It had got to the stage where I was questioning our use of it. Lets be honest, when you have hot water, sink and washing up liquid it isnt exactly essential.

So i set about finding out what else could be used as an alternative to the expensive tablets.
After searching the internet i came across  many different recipes for dishwasher detergent but i wanted it to be easy to make with ingredients that werent going to be like hunting for a needle in a haystack.
Finally i came across http://kitcheningenuity.blogspot.co.uk. She has published a recipe for the tablets so i took it and adapted it and this is what i ended up with:

2 cups of borax - available from most chemists or hardware stores.
2 cups washing soda - available from all major supermarkets.
1 cup salt
1/4 cup of lemon juice
15 drops of Lavender essential oil
1/2 cup of water

Mix all the ingredients together and then push it into ice cube trays. To keep them as tablets I then placed the trays in the freezer for 12 hours, lifted them out and let them sit for a few hours before pushing them out and putting them in a storage container.

I also read during my searching that white vinegar in the rinseaid compartment is fab........its true!

I managed to make 52 tablets out of this mix, it will all be dependant on the size of your ice cube trays. On this quantity I calculated that it cost me £1.30.

So, it wasnt difficult to make, it was certainly cost effective but does it work?

YES!! It does, really well. I thought it was as effective if not better than shop bought. On top of that it smells great, no chemicals, no residue....love it.

Have a go, you really will be impressed.

Right, im off to bed.

Good Night,

Love n hugs,

Suzi  xxxxxx

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for one's marvelous posting on Dish Washers ! I truly enjoyed reading it, you happen to be a great author.I will be sure to bookmark your blog on .I want to encourage you continue your great writing.

    ReplyDelete

We embrace all comments on what we are doing so there is no restrictions. Please show us the same courtesy in return by not being abusive, spamming or writing anything you wouldn't want your own kids to read. I don't want to have to remove this open format. Thanks.